Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–29 |  30–31  32–33  34–35  36–37  38–39  | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–129 | 130–139 | 140–151

36

South Bethlehem Business College

The South Bethlehem Business College was established May 17, 1897, by W.F. Magee, the present principal, and three years later, June 18, 1900, was regularly incorporated. During the first year, the School occupied rooms in the South Bethlehem National Bank Building. In 1906 it was removed to its present location, in the O’Reilly Building, where commodious quarters were specially fitted up for school purposes.

The aim of the institution is to give its students a thorough and practical training for business, in a reasonable time. English and other necessary subjects, slighted in many commercial schools, all receive the attention their importance deserves; but the student spends no time on fads, untried theories and branches of no practical use. Instruction is given both individually and in classes, and the work is so planned that each student advances independently of the others.

Modern courses of study, good teachers, central location, splendid equipment and judicious management have all contributed to the success of the School. But promises fulfilled, students satisfied, graduates prepared to do what the business world wants done, and the kind words and influence of patrons have done more. These, together with thorough instruction and fair dealing, have won for the College the respect and confidence of all.

The School had enrolled during the last school year 314 students, of whom 60 per cent. of the day students were from near-by towns. The courses of study embrace book-keeping, accounting, office practice, banking, auditing, shorthand, typewriting, advertising, and all the other usual commercial branches. Both day and evening sessions are held. There is also a special preparatory department, and a class for the study of the Spanish language. The faculty is composed of nine teachers, all of whom are proficient in their respective branches, and have had years of experience in both teaching and office work. The School is now in its 19th year, and 800 young men and women have graduated therefrom, many of whom have become superintendents, managers and private secretaries of large business concerns.

 


37

Churches of South Bethlehem

 

Old Church of the Nativity, South Bethlehem

CHURCH OF NATIVITY (OLD)

 

A Sketch of Nativity Parish

As early as 1854 occasional services were held by visiting Episcopalian clergymen in hotel parlors, and in the year following, Mr. William H. Sayre, Jr., of St. Mark's Parish, Mauch Chunk, arranged for more frequent and regular services. In 1860–1861 Mr. Tinsley Jeter held layservices on Sunday afternoons in his home, and in 1862 these alternated at Mr. R.H. Sayre's residence. From May 11, 1862, until Christmas , 1864, a Church School met on Sundays in the passenger station of the North Pennsylvania Railroad. In 1865 the first church building of the Parish of the Nativity was consecrated by Bishop Stephens, Bishop Nail, of Kansas, and eight priests, and two years later the present Rectory was finished.

In 1873, St. Mary’s Sunday School was opened with 40 pupils, and in the year following, St. Mary’s Chapel was built, and was consecrated by Bishop Howe in 1875.

In 1884, St. Joseph’s Chapel was built, and on October 18th of that year Bishop Whitehead of Pittsburgh, acting for Bishop Howe, consecrated this Chapel.

In 1887, services were held in the new Church of the Nativity which had been adorned by many memorials — litany desk, lectern, organ, etc. In 1888, the new Church being free from debt was consecrated by Bishop Rulison, assisted by Bishop Coleman of Delaware, and Bishop Whitehead of Pittsburgh. In 1890 the Vestry granted the Church of the Nativity to the Bishop of the Diocese as a Pro-Cathedral, and such it has been ever since.

In 1895 the present Parish House was built.

The first rector of the Parish was the Rev. E.N. Potter. Then followed the Rev. Robert J. Nevin; the Rev. John I. Forbes; the Rev. Cortlandt Whitehead, now Bishop of Pittsburgh; the Rev. C. Kinloch Nelson, Jr., now Bishop of Atlanta; the Rev. Gilbert H. Sterling.

The present Rector who is also Dean of the Pro-Cathedral, the very Rev. Frederick W. Beekman, was called from St. Peter’s Church, Uniontown, Pa., after the death of Dr. Sterling, entered upon his duties in this Parish on May 15, 1913; and the present assistant, or Canon, the Rev. Brayton Byron, came here from Christ Church, Rochester, N.Y., in December, 1913.

Church of the Nativity, South Bethlehem 1915

CHURCH OF NATIVITY, 1915

 

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–29 |  30–31  32–33  34–35  36–37  38–39  | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–129 | 130–139 | 140–151

Return to Community Life