Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 |  20–21  22–23  24–25  26–27  28–29  | 30–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

26

A.W. LEH

Architect, was born in Easton, Pa., September 17, 1848. He received his early education in the public schools of his native city and Trach Academy. When the call for volunteers came he entered the service of the Civil War and when he was honorably discharged, June1865, he decided to take up the art of cabinet and wood carving, which pursuit he followed until 1873, when he entered the office of Daniel Dougherty to study architecture. In 1878 he associated himself with Ritter & Beck under the firm name of Ritter, Beck & Leh, manufacturers of planing mill work. Five years later, in 1883, he opened an office for the practice of architecture which he has continuously followed to the present time. While his practice has been general in its scope, he has specialized in churches, having erected forty-one of them in various parts of the state, and school buildings, having prepared plans for thirty-one of them, including the new $300,000 high school. His strong individuality is shown in the alterations to the home of Charles M. Schwab on Fountain Hill; three wards at St. Luke’s Hospital, and a number of buildings at Lehigh University. Also for residences, schools, office buildings, etc., many of which are located in this and neighboring states. He designed three churches and a handsome school building in Philadelphia. Mr. Leh is a man of strong personality, unbiased mind, judicial temperament and is a member of the Elks, Northampton Club and since 1877 has been a member of J.K. Taylor Post, G.A.R. One of the churches designed by Mr. Leh is the beautiful St. Michael’s Slavic R.C. Church at Lansford, which has an 86-foot tower.

 


27

A.W. Leh

 

Title–9 | 10–19 |  20–21  22–23  24–25  26–27  28–29  | 30–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

Return to Community Life