Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 |  40–41  42–43  44–45  46–47  48–49  | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

42

Alfred C. Betge

ALFRED C. BETGE

Funeral director, was born September 2, 1864, in this city, the son of Gustave A. and Pauline Graff Betge. He was educated in the public schools and the Moravian Preparatory School. April 1891 he entered the employ of the late William Walp, undertaker, who established in business in 1866 in the building now owned and occupied by the Times Publishing Company at No. 50 South Main Street. In 1885 the business was transferred to a building which was erected at No. 17 North Main Street and on April 1, 1905, he succeeded Mr. WaIp, continuing in business at the above address until 1915 when he moved into his newly remodeled establishment at No. 29 North Main Street. Mr. Betge graduated from the Massachusetts College of Embalming. He has been very successful in business, being one of the city’s leading undertakers with a most modern and up-to-date equipment. He is a member of the National Funeral Directors Association; Eastern Pennsylvania Funeral Directors Association; Moravian Historical Society; Moravian Preparatory School Alumni Association; life member of the Young Mens Missionary Society of the Moravian Church and Alumni Association of Moravian Seminary and College for Women, of Bethlehem. On April 21, 1908, he married S. Carrie McCammon, daughter of the late John and Elmira E. (Dech) McCammon, of Nazareth. Mr. Betge's place of business and home address is No. 29 North Main Street.

 


43

A.N. Cleaver

A.N. CLEAVER

Located in Bethlehem in the year 1869, and has been a resident of the South Side since 1876. At the organization of the Lehigh Valley National Bank of Bethlehem, he was appointed cashier, which position he resigned in 1873 to become manager for the firm of Linderman & Skeer, operators of the Stockton and Humboldt collieries in the Hazleton region. He continued his connection until the firm retired from business. Mr. Cleaver is now president of W.C. Mason & Company, Inc., wholesale and retail dealers in coal, with offices in New York City and Hartford, Conn. He is also president of the Sayre Mining and Manufacturing Company. Mr. Cleaver has been prominent in the charitable, educational and financial institutions of Bethlehem for many years, being actively connected with the management of St. Luke’s Hospital; an organizer and director of the Associated Charities; trustee of Lehigh University; director of the L.V. National Bank and E.P. Wilbur Trust Company. He is equally well known in musical circles for his indefatigable support of the annual festivals of the Bach Choir, of which he is treasurer. Mr. Cleaver is universally known as a business man of marked ability, a leading citizen of the community, a man of broad public spirit, of great reserved energy, whose share in the upbuilding of the community has been and is highly appreciated by his fellow citizens.

 

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 |  40–41  42–43  44–45  46–47  48–49  | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

Return to Community Life