Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 |  70–71  72–73  74–75  76–77  78–79  | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

76

Rev. James Oliver Leibensperger

REV. JAMES OLIVER LEIBENSPERGER

Pastor of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, South Side, was born March 26, 1862 a son of Stephen and H. Susan (Deisher) Leibensperger, in Maxatawny Township, Berks County, Pa. He received his preparatory education in th public schools of the township and Keystone Normal School, of Kutztown after which he entered Muhlenberg College, graduating with honors in the class of 1884. In the fall of the same year he entered the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary, Philadelphia, graduating from that institution May 31, 1887. He was ordained to the office of the ministry in the Lutheran Church by the Ministerium of Pennsylvania in Zion Lutheran Church, Franklin Street Philadelphia, June 6, 1887. Shortly after his ordination he received a call from Zion Lutheran Church, Girardville, Schuylkill County. Under his pastorate the congregation which he served until July 1889, became self-sustaining At Girardville he resigned to accept a charge in Denver, Pa., consisting of several congregations. After having served the latter charge for twelve years and five months he resigned to accept the call extended to him by St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, South Bethlehem. He began his pastorate here December 1, 1901, and has since served the large congregation. His progressive spirit is tireless and the result has been that a number of extensive improvements were made to the church building, of which the most notable one was that during the past year. He is an indefatigable worker and is held in high esteem by persons of all creeds. On September 22, 1889, he married Fianna Eleanor Miller, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Ziegler) Miller, of Topton, Pa.

 


77

Dr. H.F. Leibert

DR. H.F. LEIBERT

A member of the newly-created Civil Service Commission, is a native of this city. He is a son of William Henry and Mary Siegel Leibert and was born September 4, 1883. He received his early education in the public schools and in 1900 was graduated from Bethlehem Prep. He immediately entered Medico­Chi College, Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in 1904. From 1904 to 1906 Dr. Leibert was an intern at St. Luke’s Hospital. Then he spent several years practising medicine in Connecticut, later returning to his native town, where he has built a nice practice. Dr. Leibert is a specialist in X-ray work and for the past four years has been roentgenologist at St. Luke’s Hospital. For a number of years Dr. Leibert was county physician for this district, and is now the chief surgeon for the Lehigh and New England Railroad Company. At the outbreak of the war, Dr. Leibert like many other medical men through­out the county, volunteered his services to his country. He was appointed first lietuenant by the War Department and spent several months at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. He was honorably discharged from the service. MayorJohnston recently appointed him Police Surgeon. He is a member of the Elks, Lehigh Valley Medical Association, Northampton County Medical Association, H. Stanley Goodwin Lodge, F. & A. M. On June 19, 1907, he married Ethel Lancaster, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Lancaster, of Waterbury, Conn.

 

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 |  70–71  72–73  74–75  76–77  78–79  | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

Return to Community Life