Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 |  70–71  72–73  74–75  76–77  78–79  | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

78

Rev. Hugh J. McGettigan

REV. HUGH J. McGETTIGAN

Rector of the Church of the Holy Infancy, was born May 2, 1860, in Blythe Township, this state, a son of Hugh and Susan Shields McGettigan. He received his early education in the public schools and for some time was engaged as a slate picker in the breakers. He also was a public school teacher. Later he entered St. Charles’ Seminary, Overbrook, where he took up the study of theology, and was ordained in the Cathedral, Philadelphia, on June 15, 1889 by the late Archbishop Ryan. Father McCettigan early after his ordination was appointed a rector. He served at St. Patrick’s Church in Pottsville, for three years, and then was made rector of St. Mary’s Church in St. Clair, Pa. Two years later he took up his duties as rector of St. Joseph’s Church in Ashland, where he remained for eight years. On December 28, 1912, he was appointed to the rectorship of the Church of the Holy Infancy at South Bethlehem. Today, Father McCettigan finds himself the spiritual head of one of the largest parishes in the diocese outside of Philadelphia. Father McCettigan is an indefatigable worker, a profound scholar, and his devotion to the sick and poor has endeared him to everyone in the parish. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus.

 


79

James E. McBride

JAMES E. McBRIDE

The city’s leading pharmacist, was born in South Bethlehem, a son of and the late Patrick McBride. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and later graduated from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. After graduation he purchased the establishment of Sheets and Addis at No. 122 East Third Street, but later acquired the property at No. 124 East Third Street, the present site of his business. He has one of the most up-to­date pharmacies in the state, carrying a full line for the relief of suffering humanity. The establishment is one of the busiest prescription pharmacies in the Lehigh Valley. He is keenly interested in the social, political, educational and religious life of the community and was a captain during the bridge and Red Cross campaings. He is a member of the Elks, Knights of Columbus, National Association of Retail Druggists, Association of Retail Druggists of the Bethlehems and the Chamber of Commerce. On December 15, 1915, he was appointed a member of the Board of Northampton County Prison Inspectors for a term of five years by Judge Russell C. Stewart.

 

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 |  70–71  72–73  74–75  76–77  78–79  | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

Return to Community Life