Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 |  100–101  102–103  104–105  106–107  108–109  | 110–119 | 120–127

102

George Matthew Soltis

GEORGE MATTHEW SOLTIS

Is a son of John and Anna Tomas Soltis and was born September 28, 1885, in Austro-Hungary. He attended the common schools there and at the age of eighteen years emigrated to America. Upon his arrival in South Bethlehem he attended the South Bethlehem Business College for a term and then entered the employ of the Bethlehem Steel Company. After two years he accepted a position with his brother, Stephen Soltis, with whom he learned the trade of butcher. Later he established in business at 1127—37 East Third Street and has one of the largest stores in that section. He is very popular among his friends and is a member of the Elks, Knights of Columbus, Woodmen of the World, National Sokols, Catholic Sokols, S.S. Cyrillus and Methodius Society, Chamber of Commerce and other organizations. He married Annie Shigo, daughter of John and Annie Shigo, of Coaldale.

 


103

Rev. Dr. Ernest A. Stiegler

REV. DR. ERNEST A. STIEGLER

Was born in Oedenburg, Hungary. His father, Rev. Gustav Stiegler, was head minister of the oldest Lutheran Church in Hungary. His mother was the daughter of Captain J. Von Loog de Valenta, who took part in the Revolution of 1848.

Rev. Dr. E.A. Stiegler after finishing his public school education entered the Lutheran Parochial Gymnasium, from which, after eight years of study, he was graduated with honors. Upon leaving the Gymnasium the following fall he was matriculated into the Sopron Philosophical and Theological Academy. After this he subsequently studied in the Universities of Leipzig, Bethel and Rostock. After receiving the consistorial examination in Hungary he received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. He was ordained in Oedenburg by Bishop F. Gyuratz and received the Vicarship with the bishop, serving one year at Papa, Hungary. While serving as vicar in Papa he received a call from New Brunswick, N.J., which he accepted and served there for two years. While in New Brunswick he was also editor of a Hungarian weekly paper.

In 1914 he received a call from St. John’s Windish Lutheran Church of this city. During his stay here in two years he built a beautiful church, the value of which is about $50,000, and raised the membership of the congregation from 500 to 1,200, and also bought a property for the Church for $15,000 upon which in the near future a parochial school will be built. He is a member of the Lutheran General Council of America and the Penna. Synod. He is at present also editor of a Hungarian Lutheran monthly.

 

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 |  100–101  102–103  104–105  106–107  108–109  | 110–119 | 120–127

Return to Community Life