Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 |  100–101  102–103  104–105  106–107  108–109  | 110–119 | 120–127

106

George Slafkosky

GEORGE SLAFKOSKY

Proprietor of the Rome Hotel, corner of Poplar and Oak Streets, was born December 21, 1862, in Austria-Hungary, of Slavic parents, Stephen and Elizabeth Tomko. He received his education in the schools of his native country and arrived in America in 1881, a stranger in a strange country with 95 cents to his name. Today he is one of the leading citizens of the South Side, being one of the first settlers. After arriving in New York he was employed there for some time and then located in South Bethlehem for a short period. Deciding to engage in the occupation of miner, he went to Hazleton where he remained for 4 1/2 years. Returning again to South Bethlehem he was employed in the steel works for two years and then engaged in the hotel business at Third and Pine Streets, where he remained for four and one-half years. He later conducted the old Evrard Hotel and the hotel at Buttonwood and Linden Streets, the latter establishment continuously for nineteen years. Three years ago he acquired the Rome Hotel which he has conducted very successfully since. He is a director of the Peoples Trust Company, St. Joseph’s Beneficial Society of which he has been a member for twenty-six years, S.S. Cyrillus and Methodius Society, SS. Peter and Paul C.R. Society, St. Stephens Society, St. George’s Society, Sacred Heart Society, Chamber of Commerce and a number of others. On January 7, 1891, he married Mary Sopko, daughter of John and Mary Sopko.

 


107

Patrick F. Sheehan

PATRICK F. SHEEHAN

Proprietor of Sheehan’s Restaurant, opposite the main office of the Bethlehem Steel Company, daily feeds over 1200 of the employees of that plant. From an humble start with a trolley car, purchased in Reading, which he had converted into a lunch wagon in 1909, Mr. Sheehan made a success through his pleasing personality and soon had three wagons in different sections. In 1913 he established the restaurant referred to above, which is the most modern and best equipped in the city. He was born, March 13, 1869, in Ireland, a son of the late Patrick and Ellen Sheehan, with whom he came to America in 1880. After receiving his education he became a steel-worker, acquiring at the same time a knowledge of the manly art which made him a top-notcher in his class. His services being greatly in demand, he made a tour of the West in 1898 and later remained in Pittsburgh, where he was employed as a steel worker, returning to South Bethlehem in 1903. He is a popular member of the Elks, Eagles, Moose and during the recent campaign for the Greater Bethlehem Association, he was a captain of a team for workers. In 1913 he married Theresa Bridges, of Homestead.

 

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 |  100–101  102–103  104–105  106–107  108–109  | 110–119 | 120–127

Return to Community Life