Adult Writing Contest & Reading Raffle
Our Tails and Tales writing contest and reading raffle for adults is now live!
For the writing contest, the Bethlehem Area Public Library invites you to write prose or a poem about an animal (or animals) that has played an important role in your life. Submit your writing through this GOOGLE FORM, or visit any of our locations and submit it in person. prizes for the writing contest include the following:
*First Prize: Lenovo Tablet M10 HD (Android Tablet)
*Second Prize: Kindle Fire HD10 (Amazon Tablet)
*Third Prize: Barnes & Noble Gift Card
For the reading raffle, write a review of a book (read in any format, including e-book and audiobook) and submit it through this GOOGLE FORM or in person at any library location to have the chance of being randomly selected for a $25 gift card to a local business.
Kids Writing Contest
Our Tails and Tales writing contest for kids is now live! Share your story! BAPL invites you to write prose or a poem about an animal (or animals) that has played an important role in your life. You could win a prize! Enter your story by clicking HERE and filling out the Google Form, or by paper entry in person at any of our library locations.
Prizes include the following:
*For grades 3-5: $25 gift card to Target
*For grades 6-8: $25 gift card to Target
*For grades 9-12: $25 gift card to Wawa
CHECK OUT “UNICORNS: BREAK THE CAGE” A VIRTUAL TALEWISE EVENT!
Here’s how to get started:
- Click here to access the video and activities.
- Sign in with Google or Facebook, or create a free account.
- Click ‘Continue’ on the checkout page to start the show!
- The show is now saved in your Talewise account. Next time you want to access it, just sign in on talewise.com and pick up where you left off!
USE WANDOO READER TO ACCESS BAPL’S SUMMER READING CHALLENGES AND ACTIVITIES WITH SUMMER AT YOUR LIBRARY: TAILS AND TALES!
2021 Summer at My Library Preschool: Tails & Tales
2021 Summer at My Library Grades K – 2: Tails & Tales
2021 Summer at My Library Grades 3 – 5: Tails & Tales
2021 Summer at My Library Grades 6-12: Tails & Tales
At the Main Library
- Teen Coffee & Coloring (Gr 6-12) July 7, 21, and August 4 from 6:30-7:30 PM – Sometimes you just want to relax with a coffee or other beverage and color. Come on into the library and just be — no expectations. No registration required.
- Dungeons and Dragons (Gr 6-12) July 12, 26, and August 9 from 6:00-8:00 PM – Stop by for a one-shot session with a seasoned Dungeon Master! Feel free to bring your own original characters at level 3, but we will have randomly generated ones for use. No registration required. This will be a biweekly event with different sessions each time.
- Teen Sharpie Dot Art (Gr 6-12) July 14 from 1:00 – 2:00 PM – Create art with Sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol, plus make a DIY chopstick easel. We’ll create beautiful art and learn the science behind the technique. No registration required. Sponsored by Friends of the Library.
- It Happened at the Library: A CSI Event (Gr 6-12) July 28 from 6:30 – 7:30 PM – Investigate the crime, gather evidence, and follow the clues. See if you can solve the mystery behind the unsolved murder at the library. Bring a friend to help with the investigation or go it alone like other hard-boiled sleuths. Either way, it will be an evening of fast-paced fun. No registration is required.
- DIY Japanese Crocheted Figures (Gr 6-12) August 12 to 20 while supplies last – Stop by and pick up your free starter kit for making an Amigurumi crocheted figure. Learn the technique and create a cute animal figure to keep or gift. Kits are available while supplies last.
Family/School-Age Programs/ Events
- Story Walk (All ages welcome!) July 1-22 from 10:00 – 11:00 AM – Join the crowd for story times that move around the library grounds. On rainy days, we’ll use the porch. No registration required.
- Story & STEM (All ages welcome!) July 6, 13, & 20 from 10:00 – 11:00 AM – Join us for a story time that will get kids excited about STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). Each session will have stories and an awesome demonstration of a STEM-related activity, plus activities to continue the learning experience at home.
- Toy Pet Parade (All ages welcome!) July 6 from 6:30 – 7:30 PM – Bring your favorite fuzzy toy and join the parade! After the march, you can do a Garden Safari scavenger hunt, pose your fuzzy friend for photos, and take away some fun animal crafts. No registration is required.
- So You Want to Be a Veterinarian? (Gr 4-12) July 8 from 2:00 – 3:00 PM – Ever wonder what a veterinarian’s day is like? Or how you become a veterinarian? Dr. Eileen Mera, lead veterinarian at Wright Veterinary medical Center, will tell you about her work and how you might do it one day, too! No registration is required. Masks are a must. Please bring a blanket for seating.
- Every Picture Tells A Story (Gr 3-6) July 9, 16, August 13 from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Discover the work of great artists through stories and hands-on art activities. Learn about a famous artist, their technique, and make a work of art all your own using that same method. You don’t have to be a great artist yourself, just bring your creative spirit and have fun! No registration required. All participants must wear a mask.
- Picture Book Picnic (All ages welcome!) July 12-26, and August 2 & 9 from 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM – Stop by outside the library for a fun storytime! Bring blankets and/or towels to sit on the grass and maybe bring some snacks to eat while reading along.
- Dragon Knight (All ages welcome!) July 13 @ 6:30 – 7:30 PM – Do you love knights in shining armor and fierce dragons? Join us for an epic dragon event with stories, challenges, battles (with pool noodles), and, of course, dragon games and take-away crafts. It will be a night — or knight — to remember. No registration is required. All ages are welcome.
- Animal Stories Writing Workshop (Gr 4+) July 14 from 2:00 – 3:30 PM – Animals make the best characters! Come and learn how to shape stories around them, and get a start on a ruff tale.
- Read To Dogs (Readers only!) July 21 and August 11 from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Read to a therapy dog! Our special dogs are trained to listen. Bring a book from home or select one from our display. Practice your skills in a no-judgement setting. Participants MUST be readers. Register for your 15-minute session by calling the Youth Services Departments at 610-867-3761 x499 beginning June 1.
- Meet The City of Bethlehem Mounted Police (All ages welcome!) July 23 from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Meet the Mounted Police and their horses for stories and learn about a day in the life of these police officers and their faithful companions. No registration is required. We will meet on the Church Street porch. Please bring a blanket for seating. Masks are a must.
- Christmas in July (All ages welcome!) All Day July 24 – It’s hot outside but cool and Christmassy inside. Stop by the Library and pick up some holiday crafts and activities to take home. Get started on your Christmas decorations early or just enjoy the thought of happy times ahead. We may have a few activities to get you in the holiday spirit too.
- Wildlands Conservancy Animal Presentation (All ages welcome!) July 27 from 6:30 – 7:30 PM – Discover the animals that are all around you here in Pennsylvania. Wildlands Conservancy will introduce creatures that you have seen and maybe some that you have never encountered. Learn about their habitats and how you can make things better for the animals where we live. Meet some of these animal ambassadors and have fun. Presentation is best suited to ages 4 and up. No registration is required. Please bring a blanket for seating. Masks are a must. This event is funded by Friends of the Library.
- DogMan event (Gr 3+) July 29 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM – There’s a new breed of justice in town. Come celebrate all things DogMan, Dave Pilkey’s part-dog, part-police officer/superhero we all love. There will be crime-solving challenges, fun activities, take-home packets, and even a special guest. What could be better? No registration is required. Please bring a blanket for seating. Masks are a must.
- Readers Theater (Gr 3+) July 30 from 2:00 – 3:00 PM – No script to memorize — just take part and read aloud. We’ll rehearse 2 Anansi spider stories, then perform them for families. Lines, families, action! Share the reading bug! No registration is required. Please bring a blanket for seating. Masks are a must.
- Star Wars: Jedi Academy (All ages welcome!) August 3 from 6:30 – 7:30 PM – May the force be with you as you make your way through challenges, an obstacle course, and various games. Will you become a Jedi knight? This socially distanced event will be presented outside and on the library porch. No registration is required. Masks are a must.
- Nature Session with Wildlands Conservancy (Gr 2-5) August 6 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM – Learn about Pennsylvania animals through this informative and fun session with Wildlands Conservancy. there will be interactive activities and live animal ambassadors to meet. This event is open to those entering grades 2-5 only. No registration is required. Please bring a blanket for seating as this is an outdoor event. Masks are a must. I the event of rain, we will meet on the porch near the teahouse. Sponsored by Friends of the Library.
- Tails and Tales Family Bingo (All ages welcome!) August 10 from 6:30 – 7:30 PM – We are ending our summer family nights with picture bingo. Participants will win gently-used books and candy. Bring the family for a fun evening. No registration is required. Remember to bring a blanket for seating. Masks are a must.
- Free Comic Book Day (All ages welcome!) August 14 from 1:00 to 2:30 PM – It’s Free Comic Book Day! Stop by the Main Library and select a favorite comic book. We’ll have all sorts of takeaway crafts and activities featuring your favorite characters. Plus, chances to win some awesome items. Don’t miss this super event!
At the Coolidge Branch
- Chess for Beginners Tuesdays June 15 – August 3, 1-2 PM – Registration required. Best for 3rd grade and up.
- Read to Dogs Wednesday July 7 and July 28 from 6 – 7 PM – Beginning and independent readers. Registration required.
- Picnic in the Park Storytime Saturdays – July 10 & August 14 @12 noon – Bring a blanket and lunch and let’s meet at the gazebo. Themed songs, stories, simple activities and craft, plus a cold treat!
- Doodling Workshop with Martha Lubow Wednesday, July 14, 6:30-7:30 PM – Best for ages 6 and up. Registration required. Woodland creatures on June 16, sea creatures on July 14.
- Magic, Comedy, and Fun with Brian Richards July 20 @ 3 PM – Magic, comedy, storytelling, puppets, and more! This show is guaranteed to be loved by all ages 3 and up. Attendees will see Daisy the Dragon who just loves her tail. They’ll meet Clyde the Platypus who doesn’t love his tail. But most importantly, everyone will agree that the tales you find in the library are loved by all!
- Kid’s Great Summer Read Book Club Wednesday, August 4 @ 5:30 PM – Stay tuned for our exciting summer read, then come for discussion, snacks, and new friends! Kids 8-12 years old. Registration required.
At the South Side Branch
- Little Learners Storytime Tuesdays 2 PM starting June 1 – Join us for a unique, interactive preschool learning time for 3 and 4-year-olds via Zoom. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Storytime at the South Side Farmers Market Starting on June 9, the second and fourth Wednesday of each month until October 13 – Look for our tent on the Greenway near Taylor Street.
- Tails & Tales Summer Reading Program at South Side Starting on June 14, Wednesday mornings at 10:15 AM – Join us for a summer of animal tales on the South Side Greenway! Families of preschoolers and elementary-aged children are welcome to visit us outside for stories, crafts, and fun. Find us on the South Side Greenway on Webster Street between 4th and Mechanic.
- Read to Dogs July 14 and August 4 – Practice your reading skills by reading aloud to some fuzzy friends. Meet us on the Greenway on Webster Street between 4th and Mechanic.
For Adults at South Side:
Check out any book for adults and you can enter to win a monthly raffle! There’s a gift basket for each month of summer reading. The prizes are as follows:
July “Inner Artist” Gift Basket: Sketchbook, sketching set, paint brushes, canvas set, watercolor pens, $30 gift card to Color Me Mine.
August “Safe at Home” Gift Basket: Zen garden, self-care journal, paper lantern, votive candles, votive candle holder, $30 gift card to Roasted.