Every month of this challenge I think to myself “okay, this will be the month where you read less mysteries and more of a variety of other types of books.” But alas, that will probably never happen. Though only about half the books I read this month were cozy mysteries, so maybe that’s progress? In other news, I’m more than halfway done with my 100 books, so stay tuned to see when I hit 100!
- A Billion Reasons Why by Kristin Billerbeck- Full disclosure, this is probably the third or fourth time I’ve read this book. It’s a Christian fiction romance about a woman from New Orleans who has left her past as a 40s style lounge singer behind her, and is trying to forget the man she loved, Luc,who broke her heart years before. When he shows up out of the blue to invite her back to New Orleans with him to sing at his brothers wedding she accepts, but only so she can retrieve her grandmother’s engagement ring and go on to marry her semi-boring boyfriend. Not surprisingly her reunion with Luc turns her carefully constructed plan upside down.
- Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady’s Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners by Therese Oneill- This is quite possibly the funniest book I have ever read. At various points I laughed until I cried, and I kept insisting my mom listen to various hilarious and horrifying facts found in the book. Oneill is a humorous historical writer, and she guides the reader through the nitty gritty disgusting details of being a woman in the Victorian era. Be warned that this book is not for the faint of heart- those ladies did not lead glamorous lives- but it will make you very grateful you were born in modern day.
- Not If I Save You First by Ally Carter- I devoured this book in a day. Maddie and Logan used to be best friends. Until Russian terrorists tried to kidnap the First Lady of the United States (who is also Logan’s mom) and their plot puts Maddie’s dad, part of the White House security detail, in the hospital. After his release, Maddie’s dad moves them to Alaska, and despite writing many letters, Maddie never hears from Logan again. Until he pulls a stunt that causes his parents to send him somewhere he won’t be able to get into trouble…Alaska. But the reappearance of her best friend is the least of Maddie’s problems…
- A Billion Reasons Why by Kristin Billerbeck
- Not If I Save You First by Ally Carter
- Lost Books and Old Bones (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #3) by Paige Shelton
- The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax #2) by Dorothy Gilman
- Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #1) by Jenn McKinlay
- Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady’s Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners by Therese Oneill
- Royals by Rachel Hawkins
- Corrupted (Rosato & DiNunzio #3) by Lisa Scottoline
- The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody #2) by Elizabeth Peters
- Cursed (Regan Reilly Mysteries #12) by Carol Higgins Clark
- The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody #3) by Elizabeth Peters
The Other Lady Vanishes by Amanda Quick