- Books read this month: 14
- Books read so far this year: 41
More mysteries this month, but also a smattering of YA books (fun fact: I also review new YA books for the BAPL blog- check out Jenne’s Top Tenne here). I’m beginning to realize that that pretty much sums up my general reading habits. I was convinced I had branched out a little this month, but looking back, I really didn’t. Whoops.
Additionally, I saw two new movies this month which were based on books, Wrinkle in Time and Ready Player One. Both are books that I LOVE, and both movies were disappointing. Wrinkle in Time made me actually angry, and I would not recommend it, whereas Ready Player One was just very different from the book, but still a good movie. So there’s some bonus movie comments to go along with my book commentary.
My favorites: I’m actually only picking one favorite this month because I loved it so much that it overshadowed everything else.
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline- Wade Watts lives in a world where pretty much everyone goes about their lives within the virtual world of the OASIS. The game, created by eccentric video game designer James Halliday, contains a hidden easter egg. Players must solve riddles to find three keys. Each key unlocks a challenge which helps the player advance in their quest for the egg. Whoever finds the egg first becomes to sole heir to Halliday’s fortune and gains control of the OASIS. When, after years of fruitless searching, Wade becomes the first one to find a key, he is plunged into a fight for not only Halliday’s egg, but the survival of the world as he knows it. (Sidenote: Okay, this book was given to me by a friend who was basically like “you might not like the video game part of this, but it has a lot of 80s references, which I know you like.” I ended up LOVING IT. Everyone should read it. Go read it.)
- Off Kilter (Scottish Highlands #1) by Hannah Reed
- Royce Rolls by Margaret Stohl
- Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot #10) by Agatha Christie
- Aunt Dimity’s Good Deed (Aunt Dimity Mystery #3) by Nancy Atherton
- The Copenhagen Connection by Elizabeth Peters
- Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Pénélope Bagieu
- Murder on Monday by Ann Purser
- Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow #4) by Donna Andrews
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Raspberry Danish Murder (Hannah Swensen #22) by Joanne Fluke
- The Undateable (Librarian in Love #1) by Sarah Title
- The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton
- The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1) by Victoria Abbott
- The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert