Date(s) - 04/09/2020
7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Join us on Thursday April 9 at 7:30 pm EST for a live online reading! Local Lehigh Valley author Joyce Hinnefeld will read from her new book of short fiction, THE BEAUTY OF THEIR YOUTH–online, via Facebook Live and Zoom. Stream from anywhere. A live Q&A will follow.
Pick up a copy from Let’s Play Books or your favorite local bookstore!
This reading will take place ONLINE, via Zoom and on Facebook Live! Register below or email email@example.com by 2 pm EST on the day of the reading to receive the Zoom meeting link and password. (All Zoom registrants will receive meeting credentials on the day-of.)
About Joyce Hinnefeld
Joyce Hinnefeld is the author of the short story collection The Beauty of Their Youth (part of the Wolfson Press American Storytellers series), the novels In Hovering Flight and Stranger Here Below, and the short story collection Tell Me Everything and Other Stories (winner of the 1997 Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference Bakeless Prize in Fiction). She is a Professor of English at Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA.
About THE BEAUTY OF THEIR YOUTH, from Wolfson Press
The five short stories in this collection question the reliability of memory, how our history impinges on our present, or what risks are worth taking, but each captures moments in people’s lives when they are vulnerable:
- a young woman is swept up in her troubled sister-in-law’s effort to escape an abusive marriage;
- a middle-aged woman comes to a place of peace after her mother’s passing by finally asking a question she’d never had the courage to voice, of a friend she had never fully acknowledged;
- a German visitor overstays her welcome in Florida and risks her freedom to feel connected;
- a painter pushes himself to depict the raw, real truth in an age of absurdism and lies;
- and a mother seeking a stronger connection to her adult daughter finds it by understanding another’s deepest loss.
“These stories are such a joy; characters so tenderly and sharply rendered, their fates and moods and circumstances so unbearably specific. Hinnefeld has an unmistakable eye for American tensions and contradictions, and here we are asked to grapple with them in all their beauty and heartbreak.”
—Carmen Maria Machado, author of In the Dream House and Her Body and Other Parties
This event is fully booked.