July 19, 1742 is recorded as the date that a Moravian boys’ school was first established in Bethlehem. The school was held in several locations including the Brethren’s House and as a boy’s “institute” in 1755 at the newly built Familienhaus. The Brethern’s House (99 West Church Street) pictured below is just down the street from the Main Library. Today it houses Moravian College’s music department.
See more Bethlehem history on BAPL’s local history timeline.